Today I am happy to have Design Shuffle as my guest blogger. Design Shuffle is a social networking site for interior designers, architects, home decorators, or enthusiasts that just love interior design. It’s filled with tons of interior design ideas from top tier design talent around the world. So pleas make sure you pop on over and see what they have to offer.
Affordable ways to create a classic look for your home.
It’s that time of the year when you throw out the old from the past and welcome in the new. Maybe your New Year’s resolution is renovating your home. You don’t have to break the bank to do so and you probably don’t have a disposable income to remodel the house. The big two-in-one comes in here where we show you a few things you can do to make your house look brand new while saving you money.
- Get started by creating a look book by gathering all the clippings of your hottest inspirations first. Browse through interior design magazines, design books or search for interior design ideas on the web. Think about what your home’s style currently is and what kind of look you want to change it to?
- First things first. Create a plan. How much money is needed to give your house a face-lift? What would you like to change? Any specific rooms? If it’s the interior of your home, get your kitchen design ideas, bedroom design ideas or any other room ideas first. Think baby steps and don’t try to do this alone! That’s what professionals are there to help you for.
- A lot of people just get an exterior paint job done on their homes. It gives the home an exterior fresh look. But seriously, what about the inside where you spend most of your time? How about an interior paint job? Create a budget for your paint job, or else it’s easy to get excited and carried away.
- New colors are always so fresh and a cheap way to give your home a new look. Maybe it’s time to pick a few colors out for your interiors. You’ve heard it said on the rooftops…2011’s hottest color is Honey-suckle. Not a fan of pink? There are several other hot colors out there you can choose from that can complement your tastes better. Try diversifying your colors. Having the same color in every room makes the house look very bland on the inside. If you want to open up a room and give your home a contemporary dash of elegance, choose bright colors for a change. Color coordinate walls in a single room or try making the ceiling a different color. You don’t want your rooms to look like a closed box. It’s your thinking space, so think out of the box.
- Inspect the large pieces in your house (i.e light fixtures, wardrobes, furniture) and see if they need any repairs. If they can be repaired rather than changed out, do it! You can also update your current furniture by reupholstering your couches or re-staining the woodwork of a chair so it looks new in no time. Sometimes wood flooring can look brand new once it’s polished and back to its glossy state.
Mark Rothko (Credit)
- With that said, if you aren’t up for a new paint job, you can still come up with a new look by visiting a local art gallery or boutique that offers artwork. The original Starry Night by Van Gogh on your wall isn’t needed to create a luxurious home. There are lots of noteworthy pieces available out there that can compliment your room perfectly. Abstract wall art or even black and white photography can also spruce up a room well.
So go ahead and give your home a new make-over. Save some money and add some style while you’re at it.
I hope you continue on with my journey and let your friends know about Little Blue Chairs.